BJP`s U-turn: No need to approach UN on soldier beheading issue
New Delhi: Two days after BJP President Nitin Gadkari suggested India raise in the United Nations the issue of beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistan, the party Wednesday said there is no need to approach the world body.
"We should not approach anybody," said party spokesperson Prakash Javadekar when asked if the party felt the need to raise the matter before the United Nations.
"I expect the government of India to take this up in the United Nations. We should raise the issue in international platforms to isolate Pakistan...The Prime Minister should not keep quiet," BJP chief Nitin Gadkari had said in Mathura.
The issue was also raised by the National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon during his meeting with Leaders of the Opposition yesterday.
While Menon explained that government was against such a step as it would internationalise the issue, Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley is understood to have told Menon that this was not the party`s position and Gadkari`s comments might have been misunderstood.
BJP today demanded government takes concrete "real action" to make Pakistan understand that it should not dare to commit such a "barbaric" act again.
"We have to expose Pakistan at every available opportunity," said Javadekar.
"It is not a matter of condemnation or verbal response. It needs a real response and this is the time when we can get a response whereby Pakistan will not indulge in such an act again," Javadekar said.
Upping the ante against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, BJP said when the whole nation was outraged over the beheading incident, "even the verbal response from the Prime Minister came after a week. This is the weakness of the Prime Minister," the BJP spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth