BJYM’s Parliament gherao turns violent
New Delhi: Even as sparks were flying inside Parliament during a debate on the Commonwealth Games issue, violent protests were witnessed in areas around Parliament complex on Tuesday leading to several injuries.
Hundreds of activists of BJP`s youth wing, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) this evening marched from Ramlila to Parliament as part of their "Parliament gherao" agitation against government`s alleged inaction in handling corruption. At Ramlila maidan senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Nitin Gadkari, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitly addressed the gathering.
When BJYM chief Anurag Thakur was addressing the gathering at Jantar Mantar, a group of protesters tried to jump the barricades and reached the outer gate of Parliament complex meant for VIPs, dodging high security. They were raising slogans against Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and demanding her immediate removal for her alleged involvement in the CWG scandal. The protesters were soon prevented by the police.
Security agencies went into a tizzy as the BJP activists neared the Parliament complex, which is in a designated `high security` zone where no protests are allowed.
As soon as Parliament security staff including the Delhi Police and CRPF personnel tried to stop protesters, the BJP Yuva Morcha activists started hurling stones and throwing bottle and sticks at police, prompting police to resort to lobbing of tear gas shells and lathi-charge the protesters.
Several activists including BJYM national president Anurag Thakur were injured in the clash between protesters and police. They were taken to Parliament Street police station.
"We were holding a peaceful protest. For no reasons police suddenly started using batons at us", Thakur said.
"What is happening here? Is this the way you treat the youth of this country?" he asked.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today