BKU hails Chidambaram statement on middle class
Chandigarh: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram may have earned the opposition`s wrath by giving a statement on middle class, but he has got some support from a section of farmers here.
Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) led by Bhupinder Singh Mann on Friday said the Home Minister has endorsed the feelings of Indian farmers by commenting that Indian middle class was ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but created hue and cry on increase in Re 1 in price of wheat and rice.
"We are thankful that you (Chidambaram) have very boldly stood up for farmers and shown sensitivity towards them," he said in a letter to the Union Home Minister.
"We have been saying this for a very long time that when government increases MSP for wheat or paddy, there is a sharp reaction from a particular class. When price of other items like soap, toothpaste and clothes is increased by this class hardly even notices it ... When the price of milk is increased by 50 paisa, people cry hoarse," Mann, a former MP, said.
Chidambaram has, however, said that there was "deliberate distortion" of his statement in the media about middle-class attitude towards price rise, saying he did not "mock or chide" anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested