BKU hails Chidambaram statement on middle class
Chandigarh: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram may have earned the opposition`s wrath by giving a statement on middle class, but he has got some support from a section of farmers here.
Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) led by Bhupinder Singh Mann on Friday said the Home Minister has endorsed the feelings of Indian farmers by commenting that Indian middle class was ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but created hue and cry on increase in Re 1 in price of wheat and rice.
"We are thankful that you (Chidambaram) have very boldly stood up for farmers and shown sensitivity towards them," he said in a letter to the Union Home Minister.
"We have been saying this for a very long time that when government increases MSP for wheat or paddy, there is a sharp reaction from a particular class. When price of other items like soap, toothpaste and clothes is increased by this class hardly even notices it ... When the price of milk is increased by 50 paisa, people cry hoarse," Mann, a former MP, said.
Chidambaram has, however, said that there was "deliberate distortion" of his statement in the media about middle-class attitude towards price rise, saying he did not "mock or chide" anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!