BKU hails Chidambaram statement on middle class
Chandigarh: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram may have earned the opposition`s wrath by giving a statement on middle class, but he has got some support from a section of farmers here.
Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) led by Bhupinder Singh Mann on Friday said the Home Minister has endorsed the feelings of Indian farmers by commenting that Indian middle class was ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but created hue and cry on increase in Re 1 in price of wheat and rice.
"We are thankful that you (Chidambaram) have very boldly stood up for farmers and shown sensitivity towards them," he said in a letter to the Union Home Minister.
"We have been saying this for a very long time that when government increases MSP for wheat or paddy, there is a sharp reaction from a particular class. When price of other items like soap, toothpaste and clothes is increased by this class hardly even notices it ... When the price of milk is increased by 50 paisa, people cry hoarse," Mann, a former MP, said.
Chidambaram has, however, said that there was "deliberate distortion" of his statement in the media about middle-class attitude towards price rise, saying he did not "mock or chide" anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH