BKU hails Chidambaram statement on middle class
Chandigarh: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram may have earned the opposition`s wrath by giving a statement on middle class, but he has got some support from a section of farmers here.
Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) led by Bhupinder Singh Mann on Friday said the Home Minister has endorsed the feelings of Indian farmers by commenting that Indian middle class was ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but created hue and cry on increase in Re 1 in price of wheat and rice.
"We are thankful that you (Chidambaram) have very boldly stood up for farmers and shown sensitivity towards them," he said in a letter to the Union Home Minister.
"We have been saying this for a very long time that when government increases MSP for wheat or paddy, there is a sharp reaction from a particular class. When price of other items like soap, toothpaste and clothes is increased by this class hardly even notices it ... When the price of milk is increased by 50 paisa, people cry hoarse," Mann, a former MP, said.
Chidambaram has, however, said that there was "deliberate distortion" of his statement in the media about middle-class attitude towards price rise, saying he did not "mock or chide" anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother