‘Blacklist contractors not paying minimum wages’
New Delhi: A parliamentary panel has strongly recommended blacklisting contractors who fail to pay minimum wages to contract labourers and making suitable amendments in laws.
"The committee recommends that to keep check on erring
contractors, the government should bring suitable amendments
in the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 so that such contractors are
blacklisted and not given any future government contract," the
panel said regretting that government has no such mechanism to
check such contractors.
The recommendation was made in the 18th report of the
Committee on Petitions headed by Anant Gangaram Geete on
Labour and Employment Ministry tabled in Lok Sabha today.
The committee said it was "surprised" to note that
majority of the central public sector undertakings have
failed to keep a check on such contractors.
It suggested the Labour Ministry to bring in all necessary
amendments to the Minimum Wages Act so that the basic elements
necessary for fixing minimum wages "get legal status".
"The Committee would like to be apprised of the action
taken by the Ministry in this regard within a period of three
months," it said in its report.
Observing that ambiguity exists in the policy of the
government to list various employment under the list of
scheduled employments in the country, it also suggested
bringing appropriate amendment in the Act to ensure uniformity
in listing of contractual work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark