Blackmoney: I-T Dept ready to consider Ramdev’s suggestions
New Delhi: Amid the threat of yoga guru Baba
Ramdev to go on hunger strike over the issue of black money,
the Income Tax department on Tuesday said it is ready to consider
his suggestions for unearthing unaccounted money.
"Ramdevji`s suggestions were constructive and
constructive ideas should be considered by the government,"
said Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) Chairman Sudhir
Chandra, who had earlier briefed Ramdev on the steps being
taken by the government to unearth black money.
When asked about his meeting with the yoga guru, Chandra
said, "I think Ramdevji was satisfied. I informed him about
the steps government has taken during the past two years to
bring back black money."
The government has recently announced a series of steps
including setting up of a criminal investigation wing in the
income tax department to track and prosecute economic
Ramdev has threatened to go on hunger strike on the
issue of black money and corruption from June 4.
On setting up of the Directorate of Criminal
Investigation (DCI), the outgoing CBDT chief said, "DCI will also help in
getting banking information and cross borders deals with
countries and tax havens with which India is revising tax
India has already identified 22 jurisdictions, which are
tax havens, for signing tax treaties, he said, adding, "the
revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) with
Switzerland is likely to be implemented from next year."
The government has already announced a five-pronged
strategy to tackle the menace of illicit funds, including
joining global crusade against black money and creating
appropriate legislative framework.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video