Blackout in North India as Northern Grid fails again
New Delhi: The Northern Grid tripped for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, leading to power cuts in North India, including the national capital.
Several areas in Delhi suffered blackout.
The Delhi Metro also suffered power outage, leading to suspension of operations on all lines. Reports claimed that several trains got stalled between stations with people stuck inside.
Many traffic signals have also failed in the city leading to traffic jams.
There were also reports of power failure from Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Madhya Pradesh.
Trains on the Indian Railway network also stopped on track. Around 100 trains are believed to be stuck en-route across the region.
On Monday, eight states in the northern region saw power trip off at 2.32 am due to a major breakdown in the Northern Grid - an interconnected transmission network that delivers electricity from various power generating stations to distribution utilities.
The power failure had hit rail, Metro and road-traffic operations, as well as services at hospitals and civic bodies.
The power failure also hit water supply with water treatment plants unable to operate.
The power trip had occurred near Agra, the city of the Taj Majal, but officials were unable to say what caused the massive breakdown.
The last time such a crisis took place was in 2001, when it took 16 hours to restore normalcy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you