Blackout in North India as Northern Grid fails again
New Delhi: The Northern Grid tripped for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, leading to power cuts in North India, including the national capital.
Several areas in Delhi suffered blackout.
The Delhi Metro also suffered power outage, leading to suspension of operations on all lines. Reports claimed that several trains got stalled between stations with people stuck inside.
Many traffic signals have also failed in the city leading to traffic jams.
There were also reports of power failure from Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Madhya Pradesh.
Trains on the Indian Railway network also stopped on track. Around 100 trains are believed to be stuck en-route across the region.
On Monday, eight states in the northern region saw power trip off at 2.32 am due to a major breakdown in the Northern Grid - an interconnected transmission network that delivers electricity from various power generating stations to distribution utilities.
The power failure had hit rail, Metro and road-traffic operations, as well as services at hospitals and civic bodies.
The power failure also hit water supply with water treatment plants unable to operate.
The power trip had occurred near Agra, the city of the Taj Majal, but officials were unable to say what caused the massive breakdown.
The last time such a crisis took place was in 2001, when it took 16 hours to restore normalcy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living