Blackout in North India as Northern Grid fails again
New Delhi: The Northern Grid tripped for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, leading to power cuts in North India, including the national capital.
Several areas in Delhi suffered blackout.
The Delhi Metro also suffered power outage, leading to suspension of operations on all lines. Reports claimed that several trains got stalled between stations with people stuck inside.
Many traffic signals have also failed in the city leading to traffic jams.
There were also reports of power failure from Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Madhya Pradesh.
Trains on the Indian Railway network also stopped on track. Around 100 trains are believed to be stuck en-route across the region.
On Monday, eight states in the northern region saw power trip off at 2.32 am due to a major breakdown in the Northern Grid - an interconnected transmission network that delivers electricity from various power generating stations to distribution utilities.
The power failure had hit rail, Metro and road-traffic operations, as well as services at hospitals and civic bodies.
The power failure also hit water supply with water treatment plants unable to operate.
The power trip had occurred near Agra, the city of the Taj Majal, but officials were unable to say what caused the massive breakdown.
The last time such a crisis took place was in 2001, when it took 16 hours to restore normalcy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside