Blast accused claims NIA approaching him in jail
New Delhi: The elite National Investigation
Agency (NIA) was on Wednesday accused in a Delhi court by a jailed
undertrial of the 2008 serial terror blast here of
"approaching" him in jail without the court`s permission.
On a complaint by undertrial Shahzad, an alleged Indian
Mujahideen (IM) member, Additional Sessions Judge Santosh
Snehi Mann sought Tihar jail authorities` report on his
The Tihar Jail Superintendent was asked to file his
report on Shahzad`s application by September 28.
"An application is moved on behalf of accused Shahzad
that officials of NIA are approaching him in the (Tihar) jail
without permission of this court. A report be called from the
Jail Superintendent on this application for the date fixed,"
the court said.
NIA is also probing the September 7 terror attack in the
Delhi High Court premises that killed 15 people and injured
The court, which had on September 14 ordered expeditious
trial in the 2008 serial blasts case, today examined 19
witnesses, including six doctors of different hospitals and
other victims who had sustained injuries or had lost their
family members in the explosions.
The blasts, occurring in quick succession in crowded
localities in four places in the national capital on September
13, 2008, left 26 people dead and 135 injured.
The doctors deposed in the court that the victims, who
were brought to the hospital after the blasts, had sustained
injuries due to the impact of the explosions.
The court would continue recording the statements of
witnesses on September 28.
The court had ordered expeditious trial in the case
taking into account the fact that there were over 750
prosecution witnesses in the five cases registered in the
matter and only 29 of them have been examined so far in the
last six hearings.
Five cases were registered in connection with the blasts
at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road, Central Park
in Connaught Place and M-Block Market in Greater Kailash. A
bomb was also found near India Gate.
The court had earlier commenced the trial in the case
after framing charges against 13 suspected IM modules for
their alleged role in the serial blasts. They were charged
with waging a war against the state and killing people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city