Blast accused claims NIA approaching him in jail
New Delhi: The elite National Investigation
Agency (NIA) was on Wednesday accused in a Delhi court by a jailed
undertrial of the 2008 serial terror blast here of
"approaching" him in jail without the court`s permission.
On a complaint by undertrial Shahzad, an alleged Indian
Mujahideen (IM) member, Additional Sessions Judge Santosh
Snehi Mann sought Tihar jail authorities` report on his
The Tihar Jail Superintendent was asked to file his
report on Shahzad`s application by September 28.
"An application is moved on behalf of accused Shahzad
that officials of NIA are approaching him in the (Tihar) jail
without permission of this court. A report be called from the
Jail Superintendent on this application for the date fixed,"
the court said.
NIA is also probing the September 7 terror attack in the
Delhi High Court premises that killed 15 people and injured
The court, which had on September 14 ordered expeditious
trial in the 2008 serial blasts case, today examined 19
witnesses, including six doctors of different hospitals and
other victims who had sustained injuries or had lost their
family members in the explosions.
The blasts, occurring in quick succession in crowded
localities in four places in the national capital on September
13, 2008, left 26 people dead and 135 injured.
The doctors deposed in the court that the victims, who
were brought to the hospital after the blasts, had sustained
injuries due to the impact of the explosions.
The court would continue recording the statements of
witnesses on September 28.
The court had ordered expeditious trial in the case
taking into account the fact that there were over 750
prosecution witnesses in the five cases registered in the
matter and only 29 of them have been examined so far in the
last six hearings.
Five cases were registered in connection with the blasts
at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road, Central Park
in Connaught Place and M-Block Market in Greater Kailash. A
bomb was also found near India Gate.
The court had earlier commenced the trial in the case
after framing charges against 13 suspected IM modules for
their alleged role in the serial blasts. They were charged
with waging a war against the state and killing people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?