Blast in Pokhran firing range; 4 jawans killed, 3 hurt
Jaisalmer: Four army jawans were killed
and three injured in a blast while practising at a busy firing
range in Pokhran in Rajasthan.
The incident occurred last night when the barrel of a
81 mm mortar exploded when the troops were firing at the
range, about 40 km from here, army sources said today.
The injured jawans were rushed to the Jodhpur military
hospital soon after the incident, they said.
Of the deceased, three jawans belonged to the 9
Maratha Light Infantry Unit and one was from the Jammu and
Kashmir Light Infantry.
The army has ordered a probe into the reasons behind
the accident, officials said in New Delhi.
The Infantry unit had arrived recently to the range
for practising firing of heavy weapons including the 81 mm
In March 2008, three army personnel were killed and
two others were injured during the `Brazen Chariots` exercise
in the same field firing range.
A 125-mm mortar gun had exploded even as the personnel
were firing it for a live demonstration while the army`s top
brass, defence attaches and diplomats from foreign countries
were watching the exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city