Blast in Pokhran firing range; 4 jawans killed, 3 hurt
Jaisalmer: Four army jawans were killed
and three injured in a blast while practising at a busy firing
range in Pokhran in Rajasthan.
The incident occurred last night when the barrel of a
81 mm mortar exploded when the troops were firing at the
range, about 40 km from here, army sources said today.
The injured jawans were rushed to the Jodhpur military
hospital soon after the incident, they said.
Of the deceased, three jawans belonged to the 9
Maratha Light Infantry Unit and one was from the Jammu and
Kashmir Light Infantry.
The army has ordered a probe into the reasons behind
the accident, officials said in New Delhi.
The Infantry unit had arrived recently to the range
for practising firing of heavy weapons including the 81 mm
In March 2008, three army personnel were killed and
two others were injured during the `Brazen Chariots` exercise
in the same field firing range.
A 125-mm mortar gun had exploded even as the personnel
were firing it for a live demonstration while the army`s top
brass, defence attaches and diplomats from foreign countries
were watching the exercise.
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why