Mumbai: Following is the chronology of
the 2003 twin blasts at Gateway of India and Zaveri Bazaar:
August 25, 2003 -- Blasts at Zaveri Bazaar and Gateway of
India in south Mumbai in which 52 killed and 100 injured.
August 31, 2003 -- Three accused Ashrat Ansari (32), Hanif
Sayed (46) and his wife Fehmida Sayed (43) arrested.
October 1, 2003 -- Two more accused, Mohammed Ansari Ladoowala
and Mohammed Hasan Batterywala, held.
October 2, 2003 -- Another accused Zaheer Patel (name changed
as he later became approver in case) arrested.
February 5, 2004 -- Chargesheet filed against six accused in
the case in Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court for
Gateway of India and Zaveri Bazaar blasts. Accused also
alleged to have been involved in placing an unexploded bomb in
a bus at SEEPZ in suburban Andheri in December 2, 2002 and
placing bomb in bus at Ghatkopar in July 8, 2003 in which two
persons were killed.
May 5, 2004 -- Patel declared approver and pardoned by POTA
June 20, 2004 -- Charges framed by court against five accused.
September 2, 2004 -- Trial commences.
December 2008 -- Ladoowala and Batterywala discharged from the
case by POTA court after Supreme Court upholds POTA review
committee report stating no case against them.
July 27, 2009 -- Three accused Ashrat Ansari, Hanif Sayed and
his wife Fehmida Sayed convicted by special POTA court under
sections of IPC, POTA, Explosives Act, Explosive Substances
Act. Court says arguments on quantum of sentence to be heard
on August 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read