Blood donation, better than pilgrimage: Dr Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: Terming blood donation "better" than pilgrimage, Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Friday pitched for holding extensive donation campaigns to meet the shortfall in the blood units supply in the country.
The country receives around 10 million blood units against the annual demand of 12 million units and meeting the target should not be a big deal in a country as big as India, he said.
"By this time next year, there should be no shortfall if we work together," he said at the valedictory function to mark the culmination of the Blood Donor Week at the Indian Red Cross Society here.
Extolling the act of blood donation Vardhan said: "You go on Haj, to a temple or church...You go to a blood donation camp once in a year. That may be something better than all of this."
"Let us hold hundreds and thousands of meetings all across the country to educate and motivate people to donate blood. Let us start a social movement for health for all in the country, and for anyone to become a participant of this movement, they should start with donating blood," he said.
What is required is to reach to as many people as we can because I have seen that they have the desire of doing something for the mankind, he said.
On the occasion, he also facilitated many blood donors, many of whom had donated more than 100 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark