Bluestar Anniversary: Violence inside Golden Temple leaves 10 injured; 21 arrested
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
Amritsar: Violent clashes broke out between two Sikh groups inside the Golden Temple complex on the 30th anniversary of Operation Bluestar, Friday.
The police registered cases ranging from assault to attempt to murder against 28 people — 21 of whom were arrested, while search was on to nab the 7 others on the run.
10 people, including a child, were injured in the incident. Members of the media were also targeted.
As per reports, trouble started after members of the Shiromani Akali Dal-controlled Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) protested Shriomani Akali Dal (Amritsar) leader Simranjit Singh Mann`s attempt to give a speech from Rostrum of the Akal Takht.
This infuriated Mann supporters with one of them attempting to snatch the microphone from Jathedar of Akal Thakt, Giani Gurbachan Singh.
SGPC-run Golden Temple Task Force swung into action immediately and took on Mann supporters.
Soon it was a free for all, with both sides reacting violently with swords and lathis.
The clash began after the religious ceremony to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Operation Bluestar ended Friday morning.
The Akal Takht is one of the five seats of power of the Sikh religion. It is located in the Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple) complex.
Giani Gurbachan Singh later said, “Deliberate attempts were made to start violence, perpetrators will be punished. People are injured in clashes, some outside agents came in, started violence.”
The situation turned tense in parts of Amritsar with many shops downing shutters. Anti Riot Police from Bhatinda and Jalandhar was rushed to Amritsar and patrolling was begun outside Golden Temple to prevent further trouble.
Dal Khalsa`s spokesman Kanwarpal Singh and 50 supporters were detained outside the Golden Temple.
Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), is a splinter group of the SAD, led by Simranjit Singh Mann which advocates formation of Khalistan, an independent state for the Sikhs through democratic process.
Following the clashes, Simranjeet Singh Mann said, “Khalistan is the only solution, its in the interest of all communities.”
SAD MP Prem Singh Chandumajra said, “What happened inside Golden Temple is unfortunate, SGPC will take action against culprits.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in