Bluestar Anniversary: Violence inside Golden Temple leaves 10 injured; 21 arrested
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
Amritsar: Violent clashes broke out between two Sikh groups inside the Golden Temple complex on the 30th anniversary of Operation Bluestar, Friday.
The police registered cases ranging from assault to attempt to murder against 28 people — 21 of whom were arrested, while search was on to nab the 7 others on the run.
10 people, including a child, were injured in the incident. Members of the media were also targeted.
As per reports, trouble started after members of the Shiromani Akali Dal-controlled Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) protested Shriomani Akali Dal (Amritsar) leader Simranjit Singh Mann`s attempt to give a speech from Rostrum of the Akal Takht.
This infuriated Mann supporters with one of them attempting to snatch the microphone from Jathedar of Akal Thakt, Giani Gurbachan Singh.
SGPC-run Golden Temple Task Force swung into action immediately and took on Mann supporters.
Soon it was a free for all, with both sides reacting violently with swords and lathis.
The clash began after the religious ceremony to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Operation Bluestar ended Friday morning.
The Akal Takht is one of the five seats of power of the Sikh religion. It is located in the Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple) complex.
Giani Gurbachan Singh later said, “Deliberate attempts were made to start violence, perpetrators will be punished. People are injured in clashes, some outside agents came in, started violence.”
The situation turned tense in parts of Amritsar with many shops downing shutters. Anti Riot Police from Bhatinda and Jalandhar was rushed to Amritsar and patrolling was begun outside Golden Temple to prevent further trouble.
Dal Khalsa`s spokesman Kanwarpal Singh and 50 supporters were detained outside the Golden Temple.
Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), is a splinter group of the SAD, led by Simranjit Singh Mann which advocates formation of Khalistan, an independent state for the Sikhs through democratic process.
Following the clashes, Simranjeet Singh Mann said, “Khalistan is the only solution, its in the interest of all communities.”
SAD MP Prem Singh Chandumajra said, “What happened inside Golden Temple is unfortunate, SGPC will take action against culprits.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know