Bodhi tree sapling sent to PM for Thailand tour
Gaya: A sapling of the historic Bodhi tree under which Lord Buddha had attained enlightenment has been sent to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who will take it as a "gift" to Thailand next week.
On request from the Prime Minister Office to the Chief Minister Office in Patna, a sapling of the Bodhi tree has been sent to Delhi, Arvind Kumar Singh, member of Bodhgaya Temple Management Committee said.
The sapling of the Bodhi tree, considered a mark of peace, would be taken by the PM as a "gift" to Thailand during his tour next week.
A security personal and a gardener have also been sent to the national capital through train to hand it over to the PMO, Singh said.
King Ashoka`s sister Sanghmitra had taken a sapling of the tree to Sri Lanka.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also brought a sapling of the Bodhi tree and planted it at One Anne Marg, his residence in Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security