Bodhi tree sapling sent to PM for Thailand tour
Gaya: A sapling of the historic Bodhi tree under which Lord Buddha had attained enlightenment has been sent to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who will take it as a "gift" to Thailand next week.
On request from the Prime Minister Office to the Chief Minister Office in Patna, a sapling of the Bodhi tree has been sent to Delhi, Arvind Kumar Singh, member of Bodhgaya Temple Management Committee said.
The sapling of the Bodhi tree, considered a mark of peace, would be taken by the PM as a "gift" to Thailand during his tour next week.
A security personal and a gardener have also been sent to the national capital through train to hand it over to the PMO, Singh said.
King Ashoka`s sister Sanghmitra had taken a sapling of the tree to Sri Lanka.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also brought a sapling of the Bodhi tree and planted it at One Anne Marg, his residence in Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'