Bodies of 104 victims of Mangalore air crash identified
Mangalore: Bodies of 104 victims of the Air India Express plane crash have been identified and handed over to relatives, a top official said on Sunday.
"A total of 104 bodies have been identified and handed
over to relatives. Fifty four bodies are yet to be
identified," Karnataka DGP Ajai Kumar Singh said at the crash
Earlier, Deputy Inspector General of Mangalore Police,
Gopal B Hosur had said 115 bodies had been identified so far.
Singh said DGCA officials are yet to recover the Cockpit
Voice Recorder, commonly known as the black box, of the
ill-fated aircraft, which crashed here yesterday killing 158
passengers and crew. Of the 166 on board, eight people
survived the accident.
Asked if the Boeing, the manufacturer of the aircraft,
has sent a team to assist the investigation, Singh said he was
not aware of it.
The Air India Express flight crashed soon after landing at
Bajpe airport here yesterday, after overshooting the runway
and plunged down a deep ravine.
Out of the eight survivors, four received minor injuries
while three sustained major injuries. One person also escaped
A majority of the victims were Keralites. The entire
six-member crew including the two pilots perished in the
accident. The passengers comprised 105 men, 32 women, four
infants and 19 other children.
An Airport Authority of India (AAI) official said there
was no distress call from the pilots when they got clearance
for landing the plane, about seven km away from touchdown.
The air mishap was the first major plane crash in the
country in nearly a decade. 61 people were killed when a
Boeing 737 aircraft of domestic airline Alliance Air, crashed
into a residential area near Patna airport in July 2000.
The country`s worst aviation accident occurred in 1996
when two passenger planes collided in mid-air near New Delhi
with the loss of all 349 on board both flights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends