Bodies of Indian sailors to be buried in Oman
Dubai: The bodies of four Indian sailors, who
died after their ship sank off the southern coast of Oman last
week, will be buried in the Sultanate after being recovered in
a decomposed state.
The ship MSV Shiv Sagar MNV 2169 with 15 Indian crew
members on board went down near the southern Dhofar region of
Oman on November 1.
While six sailors were rescued by Oman`s naval forces,
five are still missing besides the four bodies that were
"The bodies, which are kept in Sultan Qaboos Hospital in
Salalah, are in a decomposed state. It cannot be identified
and are not in a condition to be sent back to India," Manpreet
Singh, Indian Embassy`s consular agent in Salalah, said.
"The burial will be held soon. A lot of paper work has to
be done before the burial," Singh told Times of Oman.
The Indian sailors had travelled from Dubai and were
headed towards Salalah when they were caught up in strong
winds. The southern Dhofar region was recently hit by
torrential rains that caused flooding.
The dead bodies were recovered from the Sadah coast and
were taken to the government hospital in Sadah.
"We received the dead bodies on November 5. All the bodies
were in a decomposed state. Even other members of the crew
couldn`t identify the bodies," the newspaper quoted a source
from Sadah hospital as saying.
The bodies were later shifted to Sultan Qaboos Hospital in
The six sailors, who were rescued, were provided first aid
and were shifted to a company guest house in Salalah.
The nine sailors who could not be rescued have been
identified as Captain Prabhulal, Engineer Suresh, Lalji,
Bharat, Mohan Mehta, Ashraf Asam, Yusuf Saamra, Suleiman Haji
Sumara and Hussain Sumaraa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das