Bodies of Indian sailors to be buried in Oman
Dubai: The bodies of four Indian sailors, who
died after their ship sank off the southern coast of Oman last
week, will be buried in the Sultanate after being recovered in
a decomposed state.
The ship MSV Shiv Sagar MNV 2169 with 15 Indian crew
members on board went down near the southern Dhofar region of
Oman on November 1.
While six sailors were rescued by Oman`s naval forces,
five are still missing besides the four bodies that were
"The bodies, which are kept in Sultan Qaboos Hospital in
Salalah, are in a decomposed state. It cannot be identified
and are not in a condition to be sent back to India," Manpreet
Singh, Indian Embassy`s consular agent in Salalah, said.
"The burial will be held soon. A lot of paper work has to
be done before the burial," Singh told Times of Oman.
The Indian sailors had travelled from Dubai and were
headed towards Salalah when they were caught up in strong
winds. The southern Dhofar region was recently hit by
torrential rains that caused flooding.
The dead bodies were recovered from the Sadah coast and
were taken to the government hospital in Sadah.
"We received the dead bodies on November 5. All the bodies
were in a decomposed state. Even other members of the crew
couldn`t identify the bodies," the newspaper quoted a source
from Sadah hospital as saying.
The bodies were later shifted to Sultan Qaboos Hospital in
The six sailors, who were rescued, were provided first aid
and were shifted to a company guest house in Salalah.
The nine sailors who could not be rescued have been
identified as Captain Prabhulal, Engineer Suresh, Lalji,
Bharat, Mohan Mehta, Ashraf Asam, Yusuf Saamra, Suleiman Haji
Sumara and Hussain Sumaraa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days