Body of Indian-origin doctor killed in Syria arrives in UK
London: The body of Indian-origin British doctor Shah Abbas Khan, who died in a Syrian prison, was brought back to Britain today and will undergo a post-mortem.
The?32-year-old orthopaedic surgeon from south London was found dead in his cell just days before the Syrian government had said he would be freed.
Khan`s family insist he was murdered while the Syrian authorities claim he took his own life.
He had been arrested in Syria 48 hours after arriving in the country for humanitarian work last November.
His body had been transferred from Syria to neighbouring Lebanon on Saturday where his mother Fatima and brother Afroze received it.
Another autopsy will be conducted in Britain, BBC reported.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said its Counter Terrorism Command was providing family liaison support and would "seek to assist the coroner when appropriate".
Khan went to Syria last year to work in a field hospital in a rebel-controlled area.
The doctor who worked at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) in north-west London had entered Syria without a visa after bring moved by the plight of refugees and worked in camps in Turkey, his family said.
The UK Foreign Office said the doctor had been "in effect murdered" by the Syrian authorities and at best his death was "extremely suspicious".
His distraught mother, however, blames herself.
"I killed my son," Fatima Khan said sadly last week, as she sat in a hotel room in Beirut.
"My children kept saying to me, `Leave it alone`, but I wouldn`t listen. The trouble is, I made him seem more important than he was. [The Syrian regime] knew what he had seen and heard, so they could not let him out alive.
I ruined everything. That`s why he`s dead. All I want to do now is lie in the same grave as my son," she added.
The Syrian government claims Khan hanged himself in his cell in Damascus last Monday, using his pyjamas as a noose four days before he was due to be released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you