Boeing’s anti-submarine aircraft for Indian Navy
New Delhi: US defence major Boeing has
started work on the first P-8I long-range maritime
reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft for the
"The Boeing P-8I team began fabricating the first part
for the Indian Navy aircraft on December 6 at Wichita, Kansas.
This is an important milestone in the programme as we enter
the build phase from the design phase," Boeing Defence, Space
and Security Vice President Vivek Lall said here.
He said the US Navy was investing USD 4.4 billion to
design and demonstrate the mission systems of the P-8
programme and the mission systems in the P-8I aircraft meet
the requirements of the Indian Navy.
Lall said that during his recent US visit, Indian Navy
chief Admiral Nirmal Verma was also given an update on the
As part of the USD 2.1 billion deal signed on January
1 last year, India had placed orders for eight P-8Is, which
are variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for
the US Navy. After placing the initial order, India is also
going to order four more aircraft.
Under the agreement, Boeing will supply the first
aircraft in 2013 and the remaining would be inducted by the
end of 2015.
"We are on schedule and the Indian navy is looking
forward to receiving its first plane," Boeing P-8I program
manager Leland Wight said.
The P-8I is likely to replace the Indian Navy fleet of
Russian-origin Tu-142 and Il-38 aircraft for maritime
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla