Bofors: Court accepts CBI`s reasoning of foreign countries judgement
New Delhi: A Delhi Court, which discharged
Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi from Bofors payoff
case, accepted CBI`s reasoning that the judgements of two
foreign countries reflected that the offence of conspiracy and
cheating was not made out against him.
"A joint reading of judgements of both the countries
(Argentina and Malaysia) would reveal that on facts of case,
both the countries expressed that offence of conspiracy and
cheating was not made out against Quattrocchi.
"As the terms of agreement between the Government of
India and Bofors did not prohibit the induction of foreign
agents in the contract and in any case, if there was a
violation of any term of contract, that only leads to civil
consequences and not penal consequences," the court noted.
The court also considered the submission of Additional
Solicitor General P P Malhotra that the Red Corner Notice was
withdrawn against 70-year-old Quattrocchi after the approval
of the then Attorney General Milon K Banerji as it was
"impinging very heavily upon the exchequer".
The judge also noted that the ASG had submitted that in
future no other country would allow the extradition
application of the government because of the aforesaid two
precedents of two different countries, which at the time of
considering extradition applications, considered the merits of
the case as well.
The court agreed with CBI that if the proceedings are
allowed to continue against Quattrocchi endlessly, then "that
would only amount to continuation of charge on the exchequer
with no hope of any fruitful result being produced in the
"On this account also, I find that the special
prosecutor has applied his independent mind and considered the
matter on the aforesaid lines," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery