Bofors scam: Court directs CBI to release documents
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday directed
the CBI to release documents related to the Bofors payoff
scam seized by it in 1997 from Win Chadha, an accused in the
case, to his son.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav directed the
CBI to release the documents after the agency submitted that
they have no objection in releasing it.
"CBI is directed to release the documents from its
headquarters," CMM said.
The agency said that there were four seizure memos
dated May 1, 1997 with regard to the documents and articles
seized from the possession of Win Chadha, against whom
criminal proceedings were abated after he died on October 24,
Win Chadha`s son Hersh Washesher Chadha had filed the
application seeking release of the documents on the ground
that there was no criminal proceeding pending in the case
against any accused person after the court accepted CBI`s plea
to withdraw the case against Italian businessman Ottavio
"It is therefore, most respectfully prayed that this
court may kindly be pleased to direct CBI to release the
documents/articles mentioned in the seizure memo dated May
1, 1997, to the applicant or the applicant`s authorised
representative," Chadha`s son had said in his application
filed before the CMM on April 7.
"The officials of CBI seized a number of documents and
articles from the office and residence of late Washesher
Nath Chadha (Win Chadha) on May 1, 1997, by way of executing
number of seizure memos in which the particulars of the
documents/articles are described.
"These documents/articles belong to late Chadha and
his other family members including the applicant, which have
no concern with the case of CBI," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145