Bomb found on Advani’s yatra route in TN
Madurai: In a major security scare, a bomb was recovered from under a bridge on the route that was to be taken by senior BJP leader LK Advani’s Jan Chetna Yatra in Madurai district of Tamil Nadu on Friday.
As per initial reports, explosives in the form of a pipe bomb was found hidden under a bridge in Alampatti village near Tirumangalam, around 30 kilometres from Madurai city. The pipe bomb is said to be an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) with wires attached to it.
Security personal recovered the explosives just 20 minutes before Advani’s yatra was to pass through the route. Following the recovery, the yatra route was altered so as to avoid the stretch.
The police have cordoned off the entire area and are conducting combing operations.
As per reports, Advani was informed about the recovery of explosives but he chose to carry on with the yatra.
Advani’s Jan Chetna Yatra would pass three districts in Tamil Nadu – Madurai, Tirunelveli and Virudhunagar – before crossing over to Kerala later today where he would address a rally today evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath