Bomb hoax at CWG Village; juvenile detained
New Delhi: An anonymous call claiming that a
bomb has been placed inside the Commonwealth Games Village on Tuesday triggered panic among the security establishment but was
declared to be a hoax after thorough checks.
Police detained a minor boy who allegedly made the call
to the Police Control Room at around 2:30 pm that prompted a
thorough security check at the residential complex which hosts
about 7,000 athletes.
Dog squads and bomb disposal teams surveyed the 63.5
hectare area, which has 14 blocks, 34 towers and 1,168 air-
conditioned apartments, a senior police official said.
A senior police official said a two-hour-long check
yielded nothing and the call was declared a hoax.
Following the call, bomb disposal teams and dog squads
also conducted precautionary searches at the Main Press Centre
located in Pragati Maidan and other venues without interfering
in its functioning.
"The boy was arrested after our technical surveillance
team tracked his mobile number. He appears to be a cranky
person. He wanted to get his some of his friends into trouble
and so made the call," a senior police official said.
The boy resides in a slum colony in east Delhi`s Kalyanpuri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends