Bomb hoax calls create panic in Delhi
New Delhi: A series of hoax calls claiming
bombs have been placed at crowded places, including two
government-run hospitals, created panic in the national
capital on Tuesday and kept the policemen on their toes.
The Central Police Control Room (PCR) received three
calls from unidentified persons during the day but after
extensive searches at the "targets", all the calls were
The first hoax call was received at around 10:30 AM that
bombs have been placed at Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) hospital,
Palika Kendra (NDMC headquarters) in Connaught Place and Vikas
Minar (DDA HQ) in ITO, police said.
A second call came within minutes claiming the bombs were
placed in Safdurjung Hospital and not in RML, which prompted
police to conduct searches at both the places.
The hoax calls did not stop there, and once the search
operations were over at these places, police received another
call at around 2 PM that bombs were placed at Vikas Minar
and a parking area near Rajiv Chowk in Connaught Place.
Immediately after receiving the first call, Quick
Response Teams were rushed to the sites and people were
evacuated from those buildings. Dog squads and bomb disposal
teams were also rushed to the sites to carry out searches.
The evacuation exercise led to chaos and traffic jams
near Safdurjung Hospital as a large number of people gathered
there. Palika Kendra also witnessed similar scenes where many
employees were evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon