Bomb scare in Orissa rail tracks
Rourkela: Train services were affected for about an hour on Mumbai-Howrah route due to a bomb scare along the tracks near Jharsuguda in Orissa on Saturday, spreading panic in the area, railway police said.
Five small crude bombs, generally used during marriage and other celebrations along with crackers, were found lying along the tracks at Chaukipada, about 160 km from here, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Railway), M Mahanta said.
A bomb detection and disposal squad was immediately called and personnel from the Railway Protection Force (RPF) and government railway police (GRP) rushed to the site soon after the round objects were spotted, he said.
However, an officer of the local police acquainted with bomb detection and disposal operation seized the bombs and neutralised them by immersing the objects in water before the squad reached the spot, Mahanta said.
Trains remained suspended on the busy route for about an hour and normal traffic resumed after the explosives were removed, he said.
While investigation into the episode was on, police suspected that the bombs could have been thrown by petty criminals, who generally use such objects while committing crimes to scare people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi