Bomb scare in Orissa rail tracks
Rourkela: Train services were affected for about an hour on Mumbai-Howrah route due to a bomb scare along the tracks near Jharsuguda in Orissa on Saturday, spreading panic in the area, railway police said.
Five small crude bombs, generally used during marriage and other celebrations along with crackers, were found lying along the tracks at Chaukipada, about 160 km from here, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Railway), M Mahanta said.
A bomb detection and disposal squad was immediately called and personnel from the Railway Protection Force (RPF) and government railway police (GRP) rushed to the site soon after the round objects were spotted, he said.
However, an officer of the local police acquainted with bomb detection and disposal operation seized the bombs and neutralised them by immersing the objects in water before the squad reached the spot, Mahanta said.
Trains remained suspended on the busy route for about an hour and normal traffic resumed after the explosives were removed, he said.
While investigation into the episode was on, police suspected that the bombs could have been thrown by petty criminals, who generally use such objects while committing crimes to scare people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Sony Xperia XA Ultra launched in India at Rs 29,990
- RS condemns brutal rape of 4-year old in Delhi
- Terrifying video: Chinese woman mauled to death by tiger at Badaling Wildlife Park
- Congress MP moves privilege motion against Naqvi in RS
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav doping scandal: He can't do something like this, says Yogeshwar Dutt