Book Beni Prasad for sub-quota remarks: BJP to EC
New Delhi: BJP on Friday complained to the EC
against Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma`s remarks on
minority sub quota, asking the poll body to book him for
allegedly violating the model code of conduct.
A BJP delegation comprising Jagat Prakash Nadda, Rajiv
Pratap Rudy and Shahnawaz Hussain, along with R Ramakrishna,
convener of the party`s election cell, met Chief Election
Commissioner SY Qureshi and the two EC`s VS Sampath and HS
Brahma and submitted a memorandum to them against Verma.
"We have met the Election Commission and lodged our
complaint against Verma and sought registration of a case
against him for violating the model mode of conduct through
his remarks on sub-quota," BJP general secretary JP Nadda
told reporters while coming out of the Commission.
"The ECI should now consider measures more stringent than
a mere censure such as prosecution and debarring of the
delinquent ministers from electioneering in extraordinary
situations such as the present one where lawmakers become
lawbreakers," the BJP memorandum to EC states.
Nadda said it has become a regular feature with the
Congress to challenge constitutional authorities.
In their complaint, the BJP said, "It is unfortunate that
Union Ministers are being engaged to continue the relay race
in making false promises which are packaged in a parallel
denigration of the ECI.
"Repeated breach of the MCC (Model Code of Conduct) is
itself reprehensible, but what compounds the offence is that
the same offence is repeated by different functionaries
holding ministerial positions..."
Nadda said the party has raised strong objections to the
remarks of Verma and has asked the Commission to take stern
"One constitutional authority, a minister, is challenging
the constitutional institution...In our memorandum we have
also stated that the Congress in its manifesto has not even
talked about 4.5 per cent reservation for minorities, leave
aside the nine per cent reservation.
"We have thus asked the Election Commission that mere
censure is not enough and thus prosecution of Verma should
start and a criminal case be registered against him," said
He said, "EC has heard us and we handed over a copy of
Beni Prasad Verma`s statement. EC has assured us that after
investigating the matter, appropriate action will be
The BJP leader also stated that "It has become a regular
feature of the Congress to challenge the Constitution and
constitutional institutions, which is highly objectionable
The BJP complaint has also raised the issue of the
constitutional body`s stature, which it said, has the mammoth
task of ensuring a level-playing field and free and fair
elections, which is the bedrock of democracy.
To substantiate their complaint, the BJP has also provided
the Commission a copy of Verma`s speech made in Farrukhabad on
the sub-quota for minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest