Book food items of your choice with train tickets
New Delhi: Rail travellers can now book the
food items of their choice online along with tickets in
The programme, which has been launched as a pilot project
in Goa Express and Karnataka Express, could be extended to
other trains based on the passenger feedback, said a railway
Under the `book a meal` scheme, passengers reserving
berths online on the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism
Corporation (IRCTC) website can place the order of their
choice "which will be duly served to them once they embark on
The delicacies range from masala dosa to egg and
The facility is only for those who have fully confirmed
"The payment will not be taken online. Cash payment will
be taken by pantry car staff in train only on successfully
delivery of the service," the official said.
"The book a meal option is available for breakfast,
lunch, dinner. The meals booked will be served by the pantry
car staff strictly according to the service timings mentioned
on the website," he said.
Once the meal has been booked, cancellation or
modification will not be permitted, he said.
Railways is in the midst of finalising its revised
catering policy after it received flak from several quarters
over the quality of food served onboard trains.
IRCTC, engaged in catering operations in about 300-odd
trains, has also revamped its passenger grievances redressal
Under the new scheme, the official said, the catering
staff will carry a list of food ordered by the passengers.
On its website, railways have provided the details of the
food along with the prices.
Orders for packaged bottle drinking water or ketchup
sachet can also be placed online.
This apart, orders for standard veg and non-veg meals
and morning breakfast can be booked online. These items will
be served in a casserole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends