`Border issues should not affect Sino-India ties`
Beijing: Asserting that it would not like the Sino-India border issue to affect the development of bilateral ties, China on Thursday said the two countries should make efforts to seek "equitable and reasonable" resolution to the problem through dialogue.
"Both should seek equitable and reasonable resolution through dialogue and negotiations," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media briefing here.
Hong was replying to a question on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s remarks yesterday during his interaction with a group of editors in New Delhi where he said India cannot compromise on the issue of Arunachal Pradesh, to which China
"...We should maintain the peace and stability of the border area. We would not like the border issue to affect the development of bilateral relations," Hong said.
About Sino-India relations, he said the two countries maintained sound and stable ties in recent years.
"Leaders of the two countries pointed out on many occasions that China and India enjoy broad prospects for the development of their bilateral ties and cooperation," he said.
"I believe that the development of China and India strategic cooperation will not only serve the fundamental interest of the two peoples but also regional peace, stability and development," he said.
On the concerns in India that China`s plans to build a dam on Brahmaputra river in Tibet may reduce water flow, Hong said "China pays greater attention to the interest of the downstream areas."
"We have also adopted very responsible attitude in the development of cross water resources," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Revealed: How terrorists posing as Afghan medical tourists had planned to attack Delhi
- Gautam Deb: The man behind Mamata's successful Mission North Bengal
- UP CM Akhilesh Yadav non-committal on liquor ban, asks people to drink less
- IPL 9: This is a million times better than any hundred I have scored - AB de Villiers on 79-run knock vs GL
- These workout pictures, video of Karan Patel will make you hit the gym!