Border skirmish, militant activity a concern: Meghalaya Guv
Shillong: Meghalaya Governor R S
Mooshahary on friday expressed concern over the formation of new
militant groups in the state and recent incidents of firing
between BSF and BDR on the international border and said the
government was constantly monitoring the situation.
"The government is concerned at the recent incidents
on the international border sparked off by certain elements of
the security forces of our neighbouring country. The matter is
being taken up at the highest level...," Mooshahary said
addressing the budget session of the assembly.
He said assistance has been rendered to the affected
people and security measures strengthened to dissuade any such
"Reports of formation of new militant groups in Garo
hills and activities of Assam-based groups along the
inter-state border are a cause of concern," Mooshahary said
even as he maintained that developments in Bangladesh against
militant outfits have impacted the morale and capability of
Referring to the vexed uranium mining project, he said
there continues to be a divergence of views on the issue.
"Keeping in mind the need to ensure the widest
possible participation in the decision making process, a joint
committee has been set up to study the gamut of relevant
issues and submit their recommendations to the government," he
On the border conflict with Assam, he said the
situation requires close monitoring, restraint and timely
action to pre-empt any conflict in the areas.
Projecting the growth rate for the state during the
11th Plan at 7.3 per cent, the Governor said for the year
2010-11, a plan size of Rs 2310 crore has been proposed.
Touching on some key financial reforms, Mooshahary said,
henceforth government payments, including salaries, pensions
and contractors bills, will be made only through cheque and
account transfers and the system of cash payment done away
"The government is also seeking to operationalize the
online system of tax receipt via `cyber treasury` and once the
project is through, the tax payers will be able to pay their
taxes online," he said.
Mooshahary said fourteen Horti-Hubs will be made
functional by this year end, to give better market access for
farmers. A Regional Training Centre for cultivation of
commercial crops, five farmer markets, two cold chains and
crop evacuation axes will be established in the state this
year, he informed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM