Born on train, girl is named Mamata Banerjee
Karnal: A girl child born on a moving train has been named Mamata Banerjee! That`s right, after the railway minister.
The girl was delivered on board the Barauni Express train between Kurukshetra and Karnal stations Saturday, with a handful of women travelling on coach S-9 volunteering to help in the delivery of the child in the absence of any medical aid on board.
"We have decided to name the child Mamta Banerjee since she was born on the moving train. We are very happy at her birth," Dayanand, father-in-law of Aarti, who was travelling with her on the train, said Monday.
Railway police officials here said Aarti developed labour pains when the train was crossing the town of Kurukshetra, 110 km from Chandigarh.
The railway police officials flashed a message to the next station, Karnal, where an ambulance was kept ready to attend to the medical emergency.
However, the child was delivered on board the train itself with the help of women co-passengers. The mother and the infant were then taken in an ambulance to the Karnal civil hospital for treatment.
"The mother and child are doing well," Kiran Bala, a medical attendant at the hospital, said.
The newborn is the third daughter born to Aarti, Dayanand said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery