Both Houses disrupted over Sri Lanka issue
New Delhi: Both Houses of Parliament were disrupted on Thursday as the DMK and the AIADMK took up the issue of the killing of Tamil civilians by the Sri Lankan government during the war against the LTTE.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned twice, once till 12 noon soon after it met and then again till 2 pm, while the Rajya Sabha was adjourned till noon.
As soon as the Lok Sabha assembled for the day, DMK members gathered near the Speaker`s podium to protest the issue and also raise the matter of the CBI raids at DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s son MK Stalin`s residence in Chennai.
Trinamool Congress members were also seen demanding a special package for West Bengal.
Some Congress MPs from Telangana were protesting from their seats. Finally, the House was adjourned.
When the Lower House reassembled at 12 noon, the same issues were raised again, forcing Congress MP PC Chacko, who was in the chair, to adjourn the house till 2 pm.
Similar scenes were witnessed in the Rajya Sabha, where Chairman Hamid Ansari was forced to adjourn the house till 12 noon after DMK and AIADMK members vociferously took up the Sri Lanka issue.
The DMK Tuesday quit the UPA government after accusing it of going soft on Colombo over the killing of Tamil civilians by the Sri Lankan military during the closing stages of the war against the Tamil Tigers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation