Both Houses disrupted over Sri Lanka issue
New Delhi: Both Houses of Parliament were disrupted on Thursday as the DMK and the AIADMK took up the issue of the killing of Tamil civilians by the Sri Lankan government during the war against the LTTE.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned twice, once till 12 noon soon after it met and then again till 2 pm, while the Rajya Sabha was adjourned till noon.
As soon as the Lok Sabha assembled for the day, DMK members gathered near the Speaker`s podium to protest the issue and also raise the matter of the CBI raids at DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s son MK Stalin`s residence in Chennai.
Trinamool Congress members were also seen demanding a special package for West Bengal.
Some Congress MPs from Telangana were protesting from their seats. Finally, the House was adjourned.
When the Lower House reassembled at 12 noon, the same issues were raised again, forcing Congress MP PC Chacko, who was in the chair, to adjourn the house till 2 pm.
Similar scenes were witnessed in the Rajya Sabha, where Chairman Hamid Ansari was forced to adjourn the house till 12 noon after DMK and AIADMK members vociferously took up the Sri Lanka issue.
The DMK Tuesday quit the UPA government after accusing it of going soft on Colombo over the killing of Tamil civilians by the Sri Lankan military during the closing stages of the war against the Tamil Tigers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Gionee to set up manufacturing unit, invest Rs 500 crore
- 26/11 Mumbai attack case: Pak court sends terror financier to judicial custody, snubs investigators
- It's OUT! Love happens at fourth sight, not first
- China warns India over deployment of BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- Switch to high speed 4G Jio, stop using Vodafone, Airtel: Reliance to employees