Boycott CHOGM if held in Sri Lanka, demands DMK
Chennai: The DMK Monday urged the Indian government to boycott the ensuing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) to be held in Sri Lanka this November if the organisers are not able to shift venue outside the island nation.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa also made a similar demand later.
The DMK also urged the Indian government to take effective steps to protect the Tamil Nadu fishermen from the attacks of Sri Lankan Navy and fishermen.
The demands were made at the party`s executive council meeting here - the first after its recent pullout from the central government and the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
The meeting was chaired by party president M. Karunanidhi and was attended by all the major leaders barring former union minister M.K. Alagiri.
Alagiri, the eldest son of Karunanidhi, returned to Madurai Monday morning despite the executive council meeting, resulting in speculations that the rift within the party and the party`s first family is on the rise.
Alagiri, who is said to be upset at the party`s decision to pull out of DMK, said he had not attended the meet as he was not well.
Meanwhile, the DMK at the executive council meeting here resolved that holding CHOGM in Sri Lanka is not acceptable and appropriate and requested the organisers to change the venue.
If the conference is held in Sri Lanka, then echoing the sentiments of Tamils world over and upholding democratic principles, India should boycott CHOGM, said the resolution.
Reiterating its reasons for quitting the central government over India`s inaction in support of Sri Lankan Tamils, the party said it had supported the UPA government to keep away the communal forces.
Listing out the benefits Tamil Nadu derived because of the party`s support to the UPA government, the party urged the central government to act in accordance with the apex court`s ruling on nationalising rivers.
Last February the apex court had ordered the central government to constitute a committee to explore the possibilities of integrating rivers. The committee should meet every three months and submit its report to the central government.
It is more than a year since the apex court gave its order and no action has been taken on that by the central government, the DMK noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi