BPL survey to begin from Tripura from June 29
Agartala: The nationwide survey of people living Below Poverty Line (BPL) would start from Tripura from June 29, Tripura`s Rural Development Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said on Thursday.
A central team led by Secretary of the union Rural Development Ministry BK Sinha would visit the state on June 28 to attend a workshop where methodology for survey and criteria to ascertain BPL category would be explained to the officials selected for the task, he said.
"The state government would welcome the BPL survey if the formula in identifying BPL family is acceptable," Chowdhury told reporters.
Referring to the last BPL survey done in 1997, the minister said the BPL population was 68 percent in the state but the Centre had approved money for only 40 percent people.
"So 28 percent genuine BPL families could not receive any benefit from the survey in 1997," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak