BPL survey to begin from Tripura from June 29
Agartala: The nationwide survey of people living Below Poverty Line (BPL) would start from Tripura from June 29, Tripura`s Rural Development Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said on Thursday.
A central team led by Secretary of the union Rural Development Ministry BK Sinha would visit the state on June 28 to attend a workshop where methodology for survey and criteria to ascertain BPL category would be explained to the officials selected for the task, he said.
"The state government would welcome the BPL survey if the formula in identifying BPL family is acceptable," Chowdhury told reporters.
Referring to the last BPL survey done in 1997, the minister said the BPL population was 68 percent in the state but the Centre had approved money for only 40 percent people.
"So 28 percent genuine BPL families could not receive any benefit from the survey in 1997," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown