BPL survey to begin from Tripura from June 29
Agartala: The nationwide survey of people living Below Poverty Line (BPL) would start from Tripura from June 29, Tripura`s Rural Development Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said on Thursday.
A central team led by Secretary of the union Rural Development Ministry BK Sinha would visit the state on June 28 to attend a workshop where methodology for survey and criteria to ascertain BPL category would be explained to the officials selected for the task, he said.
"The state government would welcome the BPL survey if the formula in identifying BPL family is acceptable," Chowdhury told reporters.
Referring to the last BPL survey done in 1997, the minister said the BPL population was 68 percent in the state but the Centre had approved money for only 40 percent people.
"So 28 percent genuine BPL families could not receive any benefit from the survey in 1997," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city