Brahmaputra issue: Downstream states interests shouldn`t be harmed, India tells China
New Delhi: Concerned over China`s move to built three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet, India on Thursday asked it to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas.
Maintaining that India "carefully monitors all developments on the Brahmaputra River", official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs today said the government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including at the highest levels.
"As a lower riparian state with considerable established user rights to the waters of the river, India has conveyed its views and concerns to the Chinese authorities, including at the highest levels of the Government of the People`s Republic of China. India urges China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas," he said.
He was responding to a query regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said.
India has not been informed about the move so far, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai