Brahmaputra issue: Downstream states interests shouldn`t be harmed, India tells China
New Delhi: Concerned over China`s move to built three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet, India on Thursday asked it to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas.
Maintaining that India "carefully monitors all developments on the Brahmaputra River", official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs today said the government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including at the highest levels.
"As a lower riparian state with considerable established user rights to the waters of the river, India has conveyed its views and concerns to the Chinese authorities, including at the highest levels of the Government of the People`s Republic of China. India urges China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas," he said.
He was responding to a query regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said.
India has not been informed about the move so far, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum