`BrahMos` attracts attention at Malaysian defence expo
Kuala Lumpur: `BrahMos`, the world`s only
supersonic cruise missile jointly developed by India and
Russia, is attracting huge interest from potential customers,
including Malaysia, at an ongoing defence exhibition here.
At the four-day Defence Services Asia (DSA-2010)
exhibition, Malaysian Defence Minister Ahmad Zahid Bin Hamidi
was briefed by BrahMos Aerospace chief A S Pillai.
Pillai briefed Hamidi on the various capabilities of
BrahMos system and its installation on ships, road mobile
platforms, submarine and aircraft, BrahMos officials said.
"BrahMos Weapon System is attracting attention and
huge interest from the Malaysian armed forces. Malaysian Navy
chief Admiral Abdul Aziz Zafar has shown interest in the
installation details and configuration," they added.
Malaysia is on a look out for weapon systems for
deploying them on its Meko A100 Kedah class ships and has also
placed orders for SU-30MKM fighter jets, which will be used
for fitting the air launched version of BrahMos, with Russia.
Various friendly countries including Vietnam, Egypt,
Indonesia, Thailand and Oman have shown interest in BrahMos,
company officials said in a statement.
India has already deployed the missile on several of
its ships and it is working on the air-launched version of the
cruise missile, which will be fitted on Indian Su-30MKIs.
India and Malaysia have a several common equipment in
their defence inventory. India is also likely to help Malaysia
to train its pilots on their version of Su-30 combat jets.
The two countries have opted for the same Scorpene
class submarines as their future underwater fleet and are
expected to closely cooperate in maintaining the vessels.
India and Russia have agreed to export `BrahMos` to
friendly foreign countries and are in talks with many of them
for future sales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'