`BrahMos` attracts attention at Malaysian defence expo
Kuala Lumpur: `BrahMos`, the world`s only
supersonic cruise missile jointly developed by India and
Russia, is attracting huge interest from potential customers,
including Malaysia, at an ongoing defence exhibition here.
At the four-day Defence Services Asia (DSA-2010)
exhibition, Malaysian Defence Minister Ahmad Zahid Bin Hamidi
was briefed by BrahMos Aerospace chief A S Pillai.
Pillai briefed Hamidi on the various capabilities of
BrahMos system and its installation on ships, road mobile
platforms, submarine and aircraft, BrahMos officials said.
"BrahMos Weapon System is attracting attention and
huge interest from the Malaysian armed forces. Malaysian Navy
chief Admiral Abdul Aziz Zafar has shown interest in the
installation details and configuration," they added.
Malaysia is on a look out for weapon systems for
deploying them on its Meko A100 Kedah class ships and has also
placed orders for SU-30MKM fighter jets, which will be used
for fitting the air launched version of BrahMos, with Russia.
Various friendly countries including Vietnam, Egypt,
Indonesia, Thailand and Oman have shown interest in BrahMos,
company officials said in a statement.
India has already deployed the missile on several of
its ships and it is working on the air-launched version of the
cruise missile, which will be fitted on Indian Su-30MKIs.
India and Malaysia have a several common equipment in
their defence inventory. India is also likely to help Malaysia
to train its pilots on their version of Su-30 combat jets.
The two countries have opted for the same Scorpene
class submarines as their future underwater fleet and are
expected to closely cooperate in maintaining the vessels.
India and Russia have agreed to export `BrahMos` to
friendly foreign countries and are in talks with many of them
for future sales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`