BrahMos fully operational with 2 Army regiments
New Delhi: Indigenously developed BrahMos
cruise missile system having a strike range of 290 kms, has
become fully operational with two regiments of the Indian
Army, government told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A K Antony said,
The flight trial was carried out on March 4, 2012 by the
Second Regiment of the BrahMos Army Unit for
operationalisation of the regiment in desert warfare, after
training of the personnel.
"With this test firing, the BrahMos Missile System is
fully operational with two regiments of the Army," he said.
He was asked whether the BrahMos missile was test fired
and its details thereof.
Informing the House on the test firing conducted by Army,
the Defence Minister said, "BrahMos Missile System with
launchers, mobile command post with its control and
communication systems had been fully deployed by the Army in
operational mode and the missile was fired".
Replying to a question on indigenous production of
defence equipment, Antony said the defence public sector units
are taking various initiatives to encourage indigenous
participation in defence production and to widen the defence
"These include development of indigenous vendors,
registration of new vendors, policy initiative for greater
private sector participation and outsourcing in their
production programme," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway