BrahMos fully operational with 2 Army regiments
New Delhi: Indigenously developed BrahMos
cruise missile system having a strike range of 290 kms, has
become fully operational with two regiments of the Indian
Army, government told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A K Antony said,
The flight trial was carried out on March 4, 2012 by the
Second Regiment of the BrahMos Army Unit for
operationalisation of the regiment in desert warfare, after
training of the personnel.
"With this test firing, the BrahMos Missile System is
fully operational with two regiments of the Army," he said.
He was asked whether the BrahMos missile was test fired
and its details thereof.
Informing the House on the test firing conducted by Army,
the Defence Minister said, "BrahMos Missile System with
launchers, mobile command post with its control and
communication systems had been fully deployed by the Army in
operational mode and the missile was fired".
Replying to a question on indigenous production of
defence equipment, Antony said the defence public sector units
are taking various initiatives to encourage indigenous
participation in defence production and to widen the defence
"These include development of indigenous vendors,
registration of new vendors, policy initiative for greater
private sector participation and outsourcing in their
production programme," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!