BrahMos fully operational with 2 Army regiments
New Delhi: Indigenously developed BrahMos
cruise missile system having a strike range of 290 kms, has
become fully operational with two regiments of the Indian
Army, government told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A K Antony said,
The flight trial was carried out on March 4, 2012 by the
Second Regiment of the BrahMos Army Unit for
operationalisation of the regiment in desert warfare, after
training of the personnel.
"With this test firing, the BrahMos Missile System is
fully operational with two regiments of the Army," he said.
He was asked whether the BrahMos missile was test fired
and its details thereof.
Informing the House on the test firing conducted by Army,
the Defence Minister said, "BrahMos Missile System with
launchers, mobile command post with its control and
communication systems had been fully deployed by the Army in
operational mode and the missile was fired".
Replying to a question on indigenous production of
defence equipment, Antony said the defence public sector units
are taking various initiatives to encourage indigenous
participation in defence production and to widen the defence
"These include development of indigenous vendors,
registration of new vendors, policy initiative for greater
private sector participation and outsourcing in their
production programme," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’