BrahMos missile with new systems test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): India on Friday test-fired
the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile with certain new systems
from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
The test comes two days after defence scientists
conducted a similar trial from the same site.
"The missile was test fired from a ground mobile launcher
from the launch complex-3 of the ITR at about 10:00 hours," a
senior official said.
The supersonic missile, which has a flight range of up to
290 km, is capable of carrying a conventional warhead of 200
to 300 kg.
"Today`s launch was a developmental trial of the land
version of BrahMos incorporating certain new systems," A
Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing Director of the ‘BrahMos
Aerospace’, an Indo-Russian joint venture company developing
the missile system, said.
"We are analysing the data received from various
telemetry systems that tracked the missile," Pillai said.
The exact results would be ascertained after a thorough
analyses, he said.
The trial was significant as it was conducted two days
after a similar test fire of the cruise missile from the same
site on March 28, a defence scientist said.
The cruise missile, a surface-to-surface land version,
was test fired in the presence of scientists of the Defence
Research Development Organisation, an official said.
The two-stage missile, the first one being solid and the
second one ramjet liquid propellant, has already been inducted
into the Army and Navy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day