BrahMos missile with new systems test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): India on Friday test-fired
the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile with certain new systems
from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
The test comes two days after defence scientists
conducted a similar trial from the same site.
"The missile was test fired from a ground mobile launcher
from the launch complex-3 of the ITR at about 10:00 hours," a
senior official said.
The supersonic missile, which has a flight range of up to
290 km, is capable of carrying a conventional warhead of 200
to 300 kg.
"Today`s launch was a developmental trial of the land
version of BrahMos incorporating certain new systems," A
Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing Director of the ‘BrahMos
Aerospace’, an Indo-Russian joint venture company developing
the missile system, said.
"We are analysing the data received from various
telemetry systems that tracked the missile," Pillai said.
The exact results would be ascertained after a thorough
analyses, he said.
The trial was significant as it was conducted two days
after a similar test fire of the cruise missile from the same
site on March 28, a defence scientist said.
The cruise missile, a surface-to-surface land version,
was test fired in the presence of scientists of the Defence
Research Development Organisation, an official said.
The two-stage missile, the first one being solid and the
second one ramjet liquid propellant, has already been inducted
into the Army and Navy, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace