BrahMos missiles readying for exports
New Delhi: Indo-Russian BrahMos supersonic
cruise missile will soon be ready for exports, with six
countries in Asia, Africa and South America showing interest
in buying the weapon system, considered to be the best in its
But BrahMos Aerospace, a Indo-Russian joint venture, would
be able to sell the 290-km-range missile to a foreign country
only after the governments of both countries give approval and
the production rate of the weapon system was increased.
The countries that have expressed interest in BrahMos
missile included South Africa, Malaysia, Brazil and the United
Arab Emirates, Defence Ministry officials said here today.
"However, the governments of both countries should agree
to the export. Only friendly nations would get the missiles,"
the officials said.
At present, the BrahMos missiles, which can touch nearly
three times the speed of sound, has a production rate of about
50 units per year with India and Russia doing 25 missiles each
"Now, we propose to increase the production rate to 100
missiles per year, with both the countries manufacturing 50
units each," the officials added.
At present, BrahMos missiles can be launched from land and
naval surface combatant-based platforms. Future systems would
include aircraft-launched and submarine-launched missiles for
which work is in progress at a rapid pace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what