BrahMos missiles readying for exports
New Delhi: Indo-Russian BrahMos supersonic
cruise missile will soon be ready for exports, with six
countries in Asia, Africa and South America showing interest
in buying the weapon system, considered to be the best in its
But BrahMos Aerospace, a Indo-Russian joint venture, would
be able to sell the 290-km-range missile to a foreign country
only after the governments of both countries give approval and
the production rate of the weapon system was increased.
The countries that have expressed interest in BrahMos
missile included South Africa, Malaysia, Brazil and the United
Arab Emirates, Defence Ministry officials said here today.
"However, the governments of both countries should agree
to the export. Only friendly nations would get the missiles,"
the officials said.
At present, the BrahMos missiles, which can touch nearly
three times the speed of sound, has a production rate of about
50 units per year with India and Russia doing 25 missiles each
"Now, we propose to increase the production rate to 100
missiles per year, with both the countries manufacturing 50
units each," the officials added.
At present, BrahMos missiles can be launched from land and
naval surface combatant-based platforms. Future systems would
include aircraft-launched and submarine-launched missiles for
which work is in progress at a rapid pace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video