BrahMos to be inducted in IAF by 2013
Bangalore: The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, jointly developed by India and Russia and which can travel at speeds of 2.5 to 2.8 mach, is likely to be inducted in the Indian Air Force (IAF) by 2013, a top official said Wednesday.
The IAF version of the precision-attack low-flying missile would be completing its air-to-ground tests by 2012.
"We expect it to be inducted in IAF by 2013," CEO and Managing Director of BrahMos Aerospace Limited (BAL) A. Sivathanu Pillai told reporters on the margins of the second international space exhibition and conference here.
BrahMos, which has already been inducted in the Indian Army and the Indian Navy, can carry a payload of 200 to 300 kg of explosives.
The Sukhoi SU-30MKI combat jet has been chosen as the aircraft to be fitted with the BrahMos. The aircraft is being modified for the purpose.
"The aircraft has to undergo certain modifications," Pillai said.
The Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is building the modified version of the Russian-made aircraft for reducing its weight and giving it additional propulsion.
A prototype of the aircraft is also being built and tested in Russia.
The BrahMos is capable of attacking from land-to-ship, ship-to-land and ship-to ship, Pillai said.
The IAF version will have the capacity of attacking large targets from air to ground.
The missile, being developed by BAL, a joint venture between India`s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia`s NPO Mashinostroeyenia, costs around Rs 1,500 crore.
The BrahMos will also be tested for its underwater performance, Pillai said.
"We are even looking into the aspect of fitting it on the submarines to attack ships and underwater elements (submarines). The technology is ready but the platform for testing has to be built," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference