BrahMos to turn world`s fastest in five years
Coimbatore: With the air-version of BrahMos
missile likely to be inducted in IAF within a year, works have
already been started to develop BrahMos 2, the fastest
Hypersonic missile in the world, which would take final shape
in five years, a top scientist said.
While the BrahMos missile has the speed of Mach 3 (speed of
sound) moving at one km per second, the Hypersonic missile
would achieve a speed of Mach 6 to Mach 7, double than that of
the present missile, A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing
Director, BrahMos Aerospace, told PTI.
"We have the guidelines and technology to make Hypersonic
missile. However, tests have to be conducted for configuring
with the propulsion and the engine and flight tested, which
would take at least five years," Pillai said.
Once operational, BrahMos 2 would be the fastest missile in
the world,he said.
Having achieved the land and sea versions of BrahMos
missile, the air version was in the final stage and after
carrying out the critical test, it would be inducted into the
Indian Air Force to use in Sukhoi-30,the main striking
aircraft. The missile would be a versatile system in the
Defence Force, he said.
Asked about enquiries from foreign Countries, Pillai said
that since there was no equivalent to the BrahMos, many
countries were queuing up for the missile for use in multiple
platforms in their force.
However, there was huge requirement of this missile in
India and only after fulfilling the demand, the company can
think of supplying to foreign countries, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest