Brar attack: Two men charged with attempted murder
London: Two Indian-origin men were on Monday charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Lt Gen (retd) Kuldip Singh Brar, the hero of the 1984 Operation Blue Star, even as British police arrested one more person in the case.
Barjinder Singh Sangha, 33, of Wolverhampton and Mandeep Singh Sandhu, 34, of Great Barr, Birmingham will "appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates` Court on Monday, " the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.
"Two men have been charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm on Lieutenant-General Kuldip Singh Brar in Old Quebec Street," the statement said.
Sangha has also been charged with common assault of Meena Brar, wife of Lt Gen Brar.
On October 6 the officers from the Counter Terrorism Command said they have arrested 12 people in connection with the investigation into the attempted murder of Brar on September 30 in London.
Meanwhile, a spokeswoman of the Metropolitan Police told PTI that "a 27-year-old man has been arrested yesterday from West London and he remain in police custody."
Brar, 78, who had led `Operation Blue Star` in 1984 to flush out pro-Khalistan militants from the Golden Temple, was on a private visit here when he was attacked by four men, suspected to be Khalistan sympathisers, while he was returning to his hotel with his wife.
He suffered a wound on his neck and cheek but his wife was not injured in the attack.
In all 12 persons, including two women had been taken into custody following the assault on Lt Gen Brar.
The police had also taken into custody three others on suspicion of immigration matters unconnected with investigation into the attempted murder.
The three were referred to the UK Border Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city