Brar attack: Two men charged with attempted murder
London: Two Indian-origin men were on Monday charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Lt Gen (retd) Kuldip Singh Brar, the hero of the 1984 Operation Blue Star, even as British police arrested one more person in the case.
Barjinder Singh Sangha, 33, of Wolverhampton and Mandeep Singh Sandhu, 34, of Great Barr, Birmingham will "appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates` Court on Monday, " the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.
"Two men have been charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm on Lieutenant-General Kuldip Singh Brar in Old Quebec Street," the statement said.
Sangha has also been charged with common assault of Meena Brar, wife of Lt Gen Brar.
On October 6 the officers from the Counter Terrorism Command said they have arrested 12 people in connection with the investigation into the attempted murder of Brar on September 30 in London.
Meanwhile, a spokeswoman of the Metropolitan Police told PTI that "a 27-year-old man has been arrested yesterday from West London and he remain in police custody."
Brar, 78, who had led `Operation Blue Star` in 1984 to flush out pro-Khalistan militants from the Golden Temple, was on a private visit here when he was attacked by four men, suspected to be Khalistan sympathisers, while he was returning to his hotel with his wife.
He suffered a wound on his neck and cheek but his wife was not injured in the attack.
In all 12 persons, including two women had been taken into custody following the assault on Lt Gen Brar.
The police had also taken into custody three others on suspicion of immigration matters unconnected with investigation into the attempted murder.
The three were referred to the UK Border Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical