Brave daughter of India, a true hero: President
New Delhi: Describing the 23-year-old gang-rape victim who died in Singapore as a "brave daughter of India", President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said all steps to bring the perpetrators of this "ghastly crime" to justice should be taken to ensure that her death will not be in vain.
"She was a brave and courageous girl who fought till the very last minute for her dignity and her life. She is a true hero and symbolises the best in Indian youth and women...The nation will mourn the passing of this brave daughter of India," the President said in his condolence message.
He appealed for peace and calm and called upon authorities to take all necessary steps to bring the perpetrators of this ghastly crime to justice.
The girl, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi, died in a Singapore hospital early this morning after battling for life for the past 13 days.
"Deeply distressed" by the "unfortunate demise" of the girl, he said while conveying his condolences to her parents and family who have faced this adversity with "fortitude and grace" and prayed that they have the strength to bear this loss.
"At the same time, let us resolve that this death will not be in vain. We will do everything possible to ensure that such an incident never happens again," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing