Brazilian pedals his way to land of Gandhi
Pune: The love he nurtured for Mahatma Gandhi prompted 59-year-old Brazilian national Silvio Da Silva Durate to undertake a tour of India and to make the venture memorable, he chose to pedal to the land of Gandhi on a bicycle.
Currently in the city on the solo bicycle tour which has so far taken him to 18 Indian states covering over 10,000 km of distance, Silvio says India is a "unique destination" with its diverse culture.
Silvio, who teaches history and philosophy in Brazil and has been influenced by Gandhian thoughts, was toying with the idea of visiting India to have a feel of the country that gave the world the greatest icon of truth and non-violence and shook the imperialist powers in 20th century.
Sponsored by three Brazilian companies which includes a Radio station, Silvio undertook his journey on June 27, pedalling his way through Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Kerala, Orissa and other Indian states, trying to know the roots of people from where the preacher of non-violence emerged.
Acknowledging his language handicap, Silvio who knows only Portuguese said, "I started using signs and gestures and slowly picked up some English words to find directions while interacting with people on the way whom I found very friendly and honest."
Initially worried about parking his bicycle during his travel, Silvio said he gradually developed the confidence that no one would steal it.
"I even took a dip in holy river Ganga with the bicycle parked away at a distance laden with my belongings", he recalled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?