Brazil’s river named after Indian-origin scientist
Brasilia: Brazilian scientists have discovered the existence of an underground river some 6,000 km long running beneath the Amazon River. The river has been named after an Indian-origin scientist, a media report said on Thursday.
Researchers decided to name the underground river the Hamza, in tribute to the scientist of Indian origin Valiya Mannathal Hamza, who has been studying the region for more than four decades.
The discovery was made possible thanks to research work performed at 241 wells that the Petrobras oil company drilled in the Amazon region in the 1970s while prospecting for crude, according to the study published by the Sao Paulo daily O Estado which was carried out by the National Geophysical Observatory.
The subterranean river runs at a depth of about 4,000 meters along a course similar to that of the Amazon, and it has a flow rate calculated at about 3,000 cubic meters per second.
The flow is just three percent of that of the Amazon River itself, which has its headwaters in the Peruvian jungle, empties into the Atlantic in northern Brazil and at 6,800 kilometres is considered to be the world`s longest river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!