Bribery case: CBI gets transit remand of Railway board member in graft case
Mumbai: A special court here on Saturday granted the CBI two days` transit remand of a Member of the Railway Board in an alleged graft case involving Railway Minister PK Bansal`s nephew.
Mahesh Kumar, recently promoted as Member (Staff) of the Railway Board from the post of Western Railway General Manager, was arrested late last night at the city airport on his arrival from Delhi.
He was produced before a special CBI court here which handed him over to the premier investigative agency on two days` transit remand for taking him to Delhi. He is likely to be shifted to the national capital this evening after CBI obtains a copy of the court`s order.
A senior CBI official said Kumar was taken to St. Georges hospital last night for a medical check up.
The Anti Corruption Wing of CBI had yesterday arrested Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla in Chandigarh for accepting Rs 90 lakh in cash from Manjunath, alleged to be the conduit of Kumar.
According to the investigating agency, Kumar was trying to get a lucrative position as Member (Electrical) of the Railway Board for which he had agreed to pay a bribe of Rs 90 lakh first and then Rs 1.10 crore to Singla. The post of Member (Electrical) is crucial for passing tenders of over Rs 2000 crore worth of Railway projects in the coming future, sources said.
Another person Sandip Goyal, who is alleged to have assisted in brokering the deal, was also arrested last night by the CBI. All the accused have been booked under the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The agency this morning arrested two courier boys who allegedly delivered the bribe amount to Singla, taking the total number of persons arrested in the case to six.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal