Bribery case: ED to quiz ex MCI chief Ketan Desai
New Delhi: The former President of the Medical Council of India (MCI), Ketan Desai, will be questioned by the Enforcement Directorate from Friday for his alleged role in a bribery case involving over Rs 20 million.
The Enforcement Directorate that has booked Desai under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act was earlier granted permission by the court to interrogate him.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested Desai on April 22 for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to give permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh batch of students without having requisite infrastructure.
Besides Desai, three other accomplices, middleman Jitendar Pal Singh, Kamaljeet Singh, a faculty member of Gyan Sagar Medical College, and the college``s Vice Chairman Sukhvinder Singh, were also arrested.
CBI also conducted raids in Punjab and Gujarat to trace Desai``s other associates and the assets he has acquired.
This is not the first time Desai has been accused of corruption.
In 2001, he had stepped down as MCI president after the Delhi High Court indicted him on corruption charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?