Bribery case: ED to quiz ex MCI chief Ketan Desai
New Delhi: The former President of the Medical Council of India (MCI), Ketan Desai, will be questioned by the Enforcement Directorate from Friday for his alleged role in a bribery case involving over Rs 20 million.
The Enforcement Directorate that has booked Desai under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act was earlier granted permission by the court to interrogate him.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested Desai on April 22 for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to give permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh batch of students without having requisite infrastructure.
Besides Desai, three other accomplices, middleman Jitendar Pal Singh, Kamaljeet Singh, a faculty member of Gyan Sagar Medical College, and the college``s Vice Chairman Sukhvinder Singh, were also arrested.
CBI also conducted raids in Punjab and Gujarat to trace Desai``s other associates and the assets he has acquired.
This is not the first time Desai has been accused of corruption.
In 2001, he had stepped down as MCI president after the Delhi High Court indicted him on corruption charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people