Bribery case: Officer leaked info, suspects CBI
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is suspecting that one its own officers has leaked out information related to searches on Railway Minister P K Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla`s premises and subsequent arrest of Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar.
CBI sources said the officer posted in Chandigarh is under inquiry for allegedly leaking information about the operation to some people who conveyed it to the wife of Kumar in Mumbai.
Wasting no time, Bansal`s wife took the help of a Railway inspector to move valuables and other important documents from her residence to safe place. However, they emphasised that the officer is only under suspicion.
Sources said the agency was also looking into family relations of the officer to understand whether the alleged leak was actually intended to benefit some of the accused or was it an inadvertent slip on his part.
The role of a senior officer of the RPF has also come under CBI lens since he had instructed an inspector of his force to collect the bag given by Kumar`s wife and hide it, the sources said.
They said CBI has questioned an RPF Inspector who told the agency that he acted on the instructions of a senior officer.
According to sources, the inspector had hidden the bag at his friend`s place in a suburb in Mumbai from where it was recovered by CBI during a search operation on May 6, three days after the arrest of Kumar.
Kumar, along with Singla, was arrested on May 3 on the allegations that the Railway Board member had struck a deal of Rs 10 crore bribe to get posting of choice in the Board and paid Rs 90 lakh as part payment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested