Brickbats and bouquets for Mamata on Facebook
Kolkata: Two days after making her debut on Facebook in a bid to garner support for APJ Abdul Kalam`s candidature for the presidency, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has received both kudos and criticism for her initiative on the social networking site.
Terming her support for Abdul Kalam for the top post as the "voice of millions of Indians", Banerjee Saturday logged on to Facebook and appealed to users to come out in support of the former president. She again posted on Sunday and requested the young generation to raise their voice against the backroom dealings in politics and graft.
"I can`t understand one thing we are being asked to vote for Kalam on Facebook when according to the Constitution, our votes don`t get counted for presidential polls. It is nothing but making a circus out of politics," posted Sayantan Chakraborty on Banerjee`s page.
Banerjee`s official page already has 17,212 likes and her two posts have already received more than 6,000 comments and are still counting.
Most of the comments lauded Banerjee for her guts to take on the Congress and oppose Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for the post of president.
"My full support to A.P.J. Abdul Kalam who is a most successful President of India. Mamata didi, my full support to you in this fight," posted Kaushik Saha.
"We are walking in that way which way u r showing...with u always," posted Simran Roy.
"Mr. Kalam is a non-political man...so we want him........didi we are with u," said Rahul Ray.
But as kudos poured in, a section of Facebook users also questioned Banerjee`s opposition to Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature.
"Mamata di, Pranab da will be the first Bengali President - I think all Bengalis irrespective of political parties should support him. Can you state in Facebook, why are you against him?" posted Sanjoy sen.
"Once I had great respect for you but your brand of blackmailing the central government and maligning the chair of PRESIDENT of INDIA is completely unwanted. Your way of "my way or highway" won`t take you too far. Your arrogance will not take you anywhere. Didi, if you continue like this, then we, the people of Bengal, who have gifted you with the chair of CM for your dedication and hard work in no time can take away that from you....So kindly be reasonable and sensible," posted Kinghuk Banerjee.
"Didi, both Rajiv Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi have given you immense respect. But by embarrassing Soniaji and turning to Mulayam for support did you do the right thing," said a post.
"Look who is talking one who calls student Maoist and prevents FDI. But I support Kalam," posted Puneet Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3