Bring back our Sarabjit: Family pleads to govt
Zee Media Bureau
Wagah Border, Amritsar: Distraught at having had to leave Sarabjit Singh battling for life at a Lahore hospital, his family vented their anger and despair on return to India on Wednesday.
The emotionally broken family pleaded with the Indian government to ensure that Sarabjit is brought back. His sister Dalbir Kaur accused the Indian government of doing much for the cause.
Sarabjit, 49, was admitted to Lahore`s Jinnah Hospital on Friday after a murderous attack on him by other prisoners in the Kot Lakhpat Jail. He had been on death row in Pakistan since 1990.
“Our govt could not do anything… It highlights the inefficiency of the Indian government as well,” she said.
She also expressed fear that Sarabjit may have been attacked as revenge for the execution of Ajmal Kasab and Afzal Guru. “After Kasab and Afzal, this is what Pakistan is doing in return,” she said.
“Sarabjit is not brain dead. He wants to live. If given proper treatment, he can stand up once again and name those who attacked him,” she said.
Sarabjit’s wife Sukhpreet Kaur said, “Sarabjit can`t speak and he is in coma. I plead to Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi to bring my husband back.”
“He did not even know that his daughter had come to meet him. I want the Indian govt to ensure he is brought back,” his daughter Swapandeep Kaur said.
The family plants will be leaving for Delhi today evening where they want to meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, and hopefully Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as well.
As per Pakistan’s official version, Sarabjit was attacked with bricks and iron rods by two fellow inmates - Amir Tanba and Mudasir - in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail on Friday afternoon when he was brought outside his cell for a routine break.
However, his family alleged that Pakistan is lying. They said that they have come to know from sources that a gang of six men had attacked Sarabjit. Two were jail inmates while the other four were let in by jail authorities for the purpose.
“Got to know that no officials were suspended nor any jail inmates arrested,” Dalbir Kaur said.
Sarabjit`s lawyer, Awais Shaikh, said his client had informed the authorities several times about threats to his life. Shaikh said that he had written to the prison authorities and government officials but all those requests were not taken seriously. "The jail authorities were themselves involved in the brutality," he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried