Bring back our Sarabjit: Family pleads to govt
Zee Media Bureau
Wagah Border, Amritsar: Distraught at having had to leave Sarabjit Singh battling for life at a Lahore hospital, his family vented their anger and despair on return to India on Wednesday.
The emotionally broken family pleaded with the Indian government to ensure that Sarabjit is brought back. His sister Dalbir Kaur accused the Indian government of doing much for the cause.
Sarabjit, 49, was admitted to Lahore`s Jinnah Hospital on Friday after a murderous attack on him by other prisoners in the Kot Lakhpat Jail. He had been on death row in Pakistan since 1990.
“Our govt could not do anything… It highlights the inefficiency of the Indian government as well,” she said.
She also expressed fear that Sarabjit may have been attacked as revenge for the execution of Ajmal Kasab and Afzal Guru. “After Kasab and Afzal, this is what Pakistan is doing in return,” she said.
“Sarabjit is not brain dead. He wants to live. If given proper treatment, he can stand up once again and name those who attacked him,” she said.
Sarabjit’s wife Sukhpreet Kaur said, “Sarabjit can`t speak and he is in coma. I plead to Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi to bring my husband back.”
“He did not even know that his daughter had come to meet him. I want the Indian govt to ensure he is brought back,” his daughter Swapandeep Kaur said.
The family plants will be leaving for Delhi today evening where they want to meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, and hopefully Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as well.
As per Pakistan’s official version, Sarabjit was attacked with bricks and iron rods by two fellow inmates - Amir Tanba and Mudasir - in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail on Friday afternoon when he was brought outside his cell for a routine break.
However, his family alleged that Pakistan is lying. They said that they have come to know from sources that a gang of six men had attacked Sarabjit. Two were jail inmates while the other four were let in by jail authorities for the purpose.
“Got to know that no officials were suspended nor any jail inmates arrested,” Dalbir Kaur said.
Sarabjit`s lawyer, Awais Shaikh, said his client had informed the authorities several times about threats to his life. Shaikh said that he had written to the prison authorities and government officials but all those requests were not taken seriously. "The jail authorities were themselves involved in the brutality," he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you