Bringing states onboard would be unwieldy task: Bansal
New Delhi: With the Supreme Court refusing to review its verdict on interlinking of rivers, the Centre Wednesday said it has already initiated the process to set up a mechanism to complete the project but noted that bringing various states on board will be an "unwieldy task".
"We have already initiated the process to constitute a committee for interlinking of rivers based on the Supreme Court order (of February 27). We want to prioritise the five links identified earlier," Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told a news agency here.
He said though he hoped that various states will come on board, it will be a "very unwieldy and a humongous task" for the government.
"For every project, we will face opposition and protests. I hope everybody comes on board," he said.
The apex court today dismissed the Centre`s plea seeking review of its direction to government to implement the ambitious interlinking of rivers project in a time-bound manner.
A bench headed by Chief Justice S H Kapadia refused to have a relook at its February 27 judgement directing the government to "forthwith" constitute a committee for interlinking of rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation