Britain backs India`s bid for seat in UNSC
Bangalore: On his maiden visit to India
since taking over as the British Prime Minister, David Cameron
today backed New Delhi`s bid for a seat in the UN Security
"India matters to the world because it is not only a
rising power, it is a responsible global power," he said.
Cameron said Britain welcomes India`s significant support
to Afghanistan and `vital` efforts in Nepal and Bhutan.
India is also a leading provider of peacekeeping troops
to the UN, he said.
"And as I saw for myself at the G20, your Prime Minister
has personally provided great intellectual leadership in
economic matters," he said during his visit to the Infosys
"That is why the time has come for India to take the seat
it deserves in the UN Security Council," Cameron said.
Cameron is accompanied by a delegation comprising his
cabinet colleagues, CEOs of leading business houses,
Vice-Chancellors of reputed universities, other dignitaries
and senior officials.
Cameron said it made sense for both Britain and India
to elevate their relationship to new heights.
"But this is not just about Britain and India. This is a
relationship that can benefit the world," he said.
He said there were three major global challenges "that we
have a duty to meet together challenges that should shape
our relationship"---economic, security and climate change.
"By forging business links together, by tackling threats
to our security together and by taking on the challenge of
climate change together we can raise our relationship to new
heights," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next