British promoted opium in India: Advani
New Delhi: Going down the pages of history, veteran Bharatiya Janata Party leader L.K. Advani Wednesday slammed British colonialists for destroying the education system of the country and making Indians addicted to opium.
In his latest blog, where he quotes American historian Will Durant, Advani says the treatment meted out to India by the British imperialists is the "greatest crime in history".
"Today, it is universally acknowledged that the two basic touchstones to judge a country`s conditions are its performance in the field of education and healthcare. Judged by these two criteria the world had always criticised governments, who neglected these two spheres. But Will Durant shows how the British rulers in India deliberately and systematically destroyed whatever wholesome existed," Advani says.
"The Case for India (Durant`s book) has a chapter titled, `Social Destruction`. In this, Will Durant writes: When the British came there was throughout India a system of communal schools managed by the village communities. The agents of the East India Company destroyed these village communities`," Advani said, quoting Durant.
He adds that he "strongly commends the book".
"Instead of encouraging education, the government encouraged drinking. When the British came, India was a sober nation. `The temperance of the people,` said Warren Hastings, `is demonstrated in the simplicity of their food and their total abstinence from spirituous liquors and other substances of intoxication," he adds from the book.
Advani also quotes Durant`s reference to Katherine Mayo`s "malicious book" against India, `Mother India`.
"Miss Mayo tells us that Hindu mothers feed opium to their children; and she concludes that India is not fit for Home Rule... She does not tell us that the opium is grown only by the (British) government, and is sold exclusively by the government," Advani said in the blog.
The sale of the opium was carried "on despite the protest of the Nationalist Congress, the Industrial and Social Conferences, the Provincial Conferences, the Brahmo-Samaj, the Arya-Samaj, the Mohammedans and the Christians," Advani writes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi