British Sikh jailed for attack on Lt Gen Brar
London: A 26-year-old Sikh man was today jailed for 10 years for making an attempt on the life of Lt Gen (retd) Kuldip Singh Brar, who led the 1984 Operation Bluestar to flush out extremists from the Golden Temple.
The pro-Khalistani supporters tried to slash the throat of 78-year-old Brar in a revenge attack on the streets of central London in 2012 for his role in leading the operation at the Sikh holy shrine in Amritsar.
Lakhbir Singh was the fifth man to be sentenced for the attack after being convicted for grievous bodily harm with intent at Southwark Crown Court in London. A gang of three men and a woman were jailed in December for their role in the attack.
The trial heard that the gang targeted Brar, himself a Sikh, in revenge for his leading role in Operation Bluestar against Sikh militants that left 1000 people dead.
Brar survived the knife attack, which left him with a 12-inch cut across his jaw.
Brar who was on a holiday here returned to India and gave evidence through video link. He was attacked when he was returning to his hotel after dinner in central London with his wife Meena in September 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India